Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Semester Reflection

Description

For my first semester I worked on many projects both in class and outside of class. I created name plates, homecoming posters, and fantasy companies in class. Outside of class on my own time I created fake tattoo prints, some t-shirt prints and a logo for a friend. 

Reaction

During the name plate class critic, I was so scared because this is something I have never done before let alone the fact that my class would see and tell me about my work. Last year I would always take the short way out of some project like having an extra shape to cover up something rather than going though and fixing the problem completely. At first I didn't like taking the time to fix a problem instead of a quick cover up but them after seeing how other people do go through my files to see how I have done something makes the project better as long with spending  the time on it. Looking back, it is an extremely helpful class activity that everyone can benefit off of especially when they don't see the same exact image I was thinking of.  

Evaluation

Some of my favorite projects are collaboration projects across different strands. Last year I worked on a lower third for ONW Now, this year I created the logo that ONW Now will be using in an animation for an intro; a small little segment for 'Coffee with Taj'. For this project an animation student Ian and I worked together to create a logo and animate it to look like foam on a coffee cup. This project was extremely confusing when we used two different adobe suits to create it. I used Illustrator to vector out a screen shot of the clip Ian will animate on and then I sent it over to him so he can animate it in After Effects. I constantly asked for his opinion on my vector to make sure it is what he wanted and try to get a grasp of what Taj wanted too. 

Another conflict that happened upon me was when I learned that over the summer when all the computers were updated, Adobe decided to take the file recovery off of Illustrator but for some reason still kept it on photoshop. While working on my homecoming poster, the app crashed and my week of work was sent into the void. I spent every day after school trying to catch up. The lesson I learned was to save frequently. On a happier note I also learned that Illustrator has an auto save option that I now triple save just to be safe.

Learning

Before this year I never used Dreamweaver, I have only seen it. Now in every project i create I use it for my back plate. Its small but it is nice to use it to make in my case, something small. I also learned so much more with Illustrator along with brushes and packs I can bring into the app to work with. I leaned how to create a bit map and properly use one and transfer it between projects because it is a texturing formate that can work in most Adobe Suits. 

In the class we usually work on about two projects at a time both class and client work and need to learn to manage our time and projects. This works great since this class is a two hour class so I learned that I can split my time evenly with two projects. Working with three I prioritize the one with the closest due date and the split up the remaining time with the other projects I am also currently working on. 

Action Plan

Next semester I hope to improve my skills as a graphic designer and take on more client work before graduation. My goal is to brand myself and reach for endorsement hours. I hope to learn more about not just printed graphics but graphics on the web and how to integrate it into my website.  

No comments:

Post a Comment