Friday, April 4, 2014

Cinderella Movie Poster

For the movie poster I chose the 1950's film Cinderella and incorporated the original story into the poster. The original story was by Jacob and Wilhem Grimm, known for their horrendous fairy tales such as Snow White, Rupunzel and Sleeping Beauty. If you would like to read the original Cinderella story it is here. I recommend reading the original story so you can see the differences in the poster.
The movies you are thinking of are from Disney, who, created extremely watered down versions for kids.

The poster I created incorporated both the movie and the original story. For my poster, I simplified the more specific parts. A glass slipper (from the movie, in the story it was gold) and a hand seeing who would fit the slipper. The blood inside the shoe is from the story where the step-sisters cut off parts of their feet. The main colors i used were red, light blue, and a light skin tone. Black as back ground and white for text and some small sparkles. The sparkles can represent from the story, the tears that fell from her face. Or from the movie, the wish her Fairy God Mother granted her. 

I'm comparing my poster to Saul Bass' poster of West Side story. I tried to simplify Cinderella into a small picture that's extremely simple. Both posters use at maximum five colors. Bass uses 3 colors. Both posters sum up the entire movie in just a little picture. Bass created his own font for his poster too.

No comments:

Post a Comment